Sunday, January 6, 2013

Review: The Lost Prince, by Julie Kagawa


Title: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa

The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1)
"Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten." -Goodreads


I had a major problem with the main character in this book, Ethan. He got on my nerves! I was not expecting cute little 4-year old Ethan from the Iron King to grow up into this irritating, mean, annoying jerk.

You know how its the trend today in the YA genre to make the main guy character to be a total jerk and then later we find out why he was acting in this jerky way, and sometimes they have a good reason? Well, in this book, Ethan's reason was just so stupid. I mean, it was understandable why he did it in the beginning, but later on, it got old. Very old, to the point where it made me want to rip my hair out. It was torture.

I loved Keirran. I found myself wishing that he was the main character, so I wouldn't have to put up with Ethan's constant brooding that he was doing for 99% of the book. And Kenzie was likable too. I liked when she would try to straighten Ethan out. You go girl! I don't really feel anything for Annwyl, since we didn't get to know much about her.

Ah, Puck. My favorite trickster. You never cease to humor me. Too bad he was only present for like 10 pages, total. I am happy that him and Ash get along now, but I missed their fighting. It was entertaining to read.

If I ever get a cat, I will name him Grimalkin. I adore this little kitty! (He would not be pleased if he heard me, a dumb human, say this.) Thankfully, he was in this book a lot. I was literally rolling on the floor laughing when he said his famous line, "I am a cat."

The concept of the Forgotten is an interesting one. The fighting scenes were epic, and the action was nonstop. If there was an award for most action-packed YA book, The Lost Prince would win it. No, scratch that, all of Kagawa's books would win that award.

Julie Kagawa's storytelling didn't fall short in this book. The world-building, character development, is perfect as always. It is as good as the Iron Fey series. Julie, you will always be a beloved author to me. But please, if you are reading this, can you please make Keirran the main character of the next book? Pretty please, with Puck awesomesauce on top?

Publication date: October 23rd, 2012
Page count: 379 pages

My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Glad that you still like the book despite your problem with Ethan :) I've never read any of Julie Kagawa's books but The Iron King is on my TBR shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iron King should be on the top of your TBR shelf! (just a suggestion)Its a great series!

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked it as well! I really liked it, and gave it a 5 out of 5 Owls. :3
    I'm hoping Kierran is the next main character. Hence, the title of the next one. No guarantees though :p

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I didn't even know that the next one is called The Traitor Son, I didn't think they released the title yet!(and its been released for a few months now) That's pretty embarrassing...

      Delete
    2. Haha, I'm sure we all have those moments. Actually... I'm usually slow on every single news out there. I just lurk on Lost Island, lol ;)

      Delete
  3. Yup, Im always in my little corner, reading, unaware of everything that goes on in the world haha

    ReplyDelete