Sunday, April 27, 2014

Review: Just Like Fate, by Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young

Just Like Fate
Title: Just Like Fate
Author: Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young
Genre: Contemporary
Publication Date: August 27, 2013
Caroline is at a crossroads. Her grandmother is sick, maybe dying. Like the rest of her family, Caroline's been at Gram's bedside since her stroke. With the pressure building, all Caroline wants to do is escape--both her family and the reality of Gram's failing health. So when Caroline's best friend offers to take her to a party one fateful Friday night, she must choose: stay by Gram's side, or go to the party and live her life.

The consequence of this one decision will split Caroline's fate into two separate paths--and she's about to live them both.

Friendships are tested and family drama hits an all-new high as Caroline attempts to rebuild old relationships, and even make a few new ones. If she stays, her longtime crush, Joel, might finally notice her, but if she goes, Chris, the charming college boy, might prove to be everything she's ever wanted.

Though there are two distinct ways for her fate to unfold, there is only one happy ending... -Goodreads

1.5 Stars
Just Like Fate is the equivalent of eating a tub of ice cream all at once and completely regretting it after. 

Right after finishing Just Like Fate, I was ready to write a gushing review on how wonderful of an experience I had while reading this. A few hours later I was mulling over the novel and began to think how completely shallow it felt. So many irrational events occurred in the course of this book that I'm surprised I didn't catch them. It's embarrassing, really, that I had been mindlessly reading this novel without actually thinking of the story-line as a whole.

Sidenote: This goes to show NEVER REVIEW A BOOK RIGHT AFTER YOU FINISH IT.

There is angsty teen drama, somewhat of a love triangle, and lots of moping around in this book. 

What really bothers me is at the core of the plot itself: WHY WOULD SHE LEAVE THE HOSPITAL TO GO TO A PARTY IF HER GRANDMA IS DYING. After I thought about this, the rest of the story just unraveled itself, leading to numerous derivations of these questions: 

Why would you go somewhere with a guy you don't know? Why would you date said guy? Why would you be so passive in a relationship and just let yourself do what the guy wants you to do? 

SO MUCH LACK OF LOGIC = RAGE. Add in the heavy reliance on cliches, (especially cliches as characters) and you have nothing more than a pile of papers; an utter mess, if you ask me. 

It pestered me, a lot, that there was so much emphasis on romantic relationships. What happened to family? In the book's defense it did bring up the protagonist's relationship with her mother, father, and sister, but it wasn't as accentuated as her love life.

The reason I give this 1.5 stars is because while I was entertained while reading it, I get a bad taste in my mouth whenever I think of Just Like Fate. I just want to forget it.

Like I said, this book is like a guilty pleasure. Now, gone is the pleasure and all I feel is guilt/annoyance. Read this if you are half-asleep, tired of thinking because of schoolwork, or all of the above (like me). But be warned, you'll probably regret it later on.

**Sorry for the abundance of caps lock. I had far too much rage bottled up inside.

2 comments:

  1. This wasn't really on my radar, and from the sounds of it, I won't be picking it up anytime soon. Sorry it wasn't a good read for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that popular of a book, but based on the synopsis I had the impression that it would be somewhat of a good novel.

      Delete