Sunday, October 26, 2014

Series Review: Cracked & Crushed, by Eliza Crewe

Cracked (Soul Eater, #1)Crushed (Soul Eater, #2)
Meet Meda. She eats people.

Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the three men in suits show up.

They can do what she can do. They’re like her. Meda might finally have a chance to figure out what she is. The problem? They kind of want to kill her. Before they get the chance Meda is rescued by crusaders, members of an elite group dedicated to wiping out Meda’s kind. This is her chance! Play along with the “good guys” and she’ll finally figure out what, exactly, her ‘kind’ is.

Be careful what you wish for. Playing capture the flag with her mortal enemies, babysitting a teenage boy with a hero complex, and trying to keep one step ahead of a too-clever girl are bad enough. But the Hunger is gaining on her.

The more she learns, the worse it gets. And when Meda uncovers a shocking secret about her mother, her past, and her destiny… she may finally give into it.

Click on the cover to be directed to their book pages!


Overall series rating: 4.5 stars!

My dear Soul Eaters series, you have succeeded in trapping my soul and heart in your firm clutches. I didn't think I'd be this invested in your books, though. I'm not really into horror, and although the books aren't shelved as thus, you still give off that creepyish-horror vibe that has never appealed to me as a reader. 

Everything about you appealed to me. Your writing was hilarious and authentic. Your action had me gripping my Nook in anticipation. Your down-to-earth-ness had me applauding because I have never read a fantasy book that is this honest. (How can a fantasy book be "honest?" I don't know; you'll just have to read it for yourself.)


But probably what bumped this from a solid 4-star rating to 4.5 stars was the heroine, Meda, who isn't afraid to admit that she doesn't have the best of personalities. She's sarcastic and snarky and so full of herself that I just what to be her best friend (if she lets me, that is). She doesn't give a poop about what anyone else says and shamelessly reveals her true nature. Many times, though, I did feel the urge to punch her, but that didn't make my love for her waver. I wouldn't even describe my feelings for her as love; it's more like respect with a dose of admiration and a bit of I want to be like Meda when I grow up! 

Yes, I did just divulge that Meda Melange is my role model. Problem?

And can I just put this out there: The relationship dynamic between Jo and Meda was exxcelleeent. Don't be expecting a best-friends-forever-bracelets-and-slumber-parties relationship here, because you won't get it. If you want that, please exit stage left and look through the endless piles of cutesy contemporary novels out there. Seriously, their friendship was part times hilarious and partly intense, which is ultimately what you will get when The Forces of Jo and Meda collide.

The Soul Eaters series is undoubtedly one of the best fantasy series I've read all year. It combines humor and a fresh protaginist with a plot that barely stops to take a breath. Don't go in unarmed, though, because you're in for one heck of a ride (of feels.)

If you're tired of the typical paranormal fare with boring main characters, then I highly recommend both Cracked and Crushed.

In the words of Eliza Crewe, I'd definitely marry this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment